Tattoo FAQ's - Top Asked Questions About Tattoos
Tattoo Aftercare Top Asked Questions
1. Why is tattoo aftercare important?
Anytime your skin goes through a “trauma” like getting a tattoo your skin becomes sensitive and is vulnerable to scarring and infections. Taking care of your tattoo can help with the healing process and ensure that your tattoo heals properly. You want your tattoo for life and for it to continue to look as good as it did when you first got it.
2. What’s the best tattoo aftercare product?
The best product to use after getting your tattoo is a product that helps moisturize your skin. The reason you need to moisturize your skin after getting a tattoo is that without a moisturizer you are risking your skin to heal very tight, dry, and itchy. AND itchy skin is the worst because you shouldn't be itching your new tattoo, actually you should steer clear from touching it. If you itch your tattoo you risk damaging your tattoo art. The tattoo lotion, tattoo balm...etc will nourish your skin and relieve it from that sort of itchy uncomfortable feeling you will get when your skin starts to peel. Moisturizing will also help aesthetically - your skin will look less flaky and more healthy.
We recommend our vegan tattoo lotion
3. What soap is best for tattoo aftercare?
The best soap to look for is an antibacterial soap that is fragrance-free. The antibacterial soap has chemicals that are effective in getting rid of bacteria and other virus causing germs. The reason we also recommend fragrance free soap is because the chemicals used in fragranced products can irritate the skin and face your tattoo color faster.
We recommend our BodyJ4You aftercare soap as the best type of soap for your tattoo aftercare needs.
4. How often to apply tattoo aftercare?As long as your tattoo has scabs or pieces of flaking/peeling skin, it’s still healing, make sure to wash and moisturize regularly to keep your new tattoo clean and hydrated (moisturized).
Moisturize your tattoo a few times a day or whenever the tattoo is dry.
Washing your tattoo with a tattoo safe soap helps to prevent infection.
- Wash the tattoo with non-fragranced anti-bacterial soap 2-5 hours after getting the tattoo and wash until the dried blood, ointment, and excess ink is removed. Be very gentle and do not over rub your new tattoo. Excess touching can affect your tattoo.
- Wash your tattoo at least 2x daily until it’s completely healed.
- Wash with soap every time your tattoo becomes contaminated with bacteria or dirt.
- PAT DRY. DO NOT RUB IT
5. How long does tattoo aftercare take?As long as your tattoo has scabs or pieces of flaking/peeling skin, it is still healing, make sure to wash and moisturize regularly to keep your new tattoo clean and hydrated. Depending on the size and location of your tattoo the aftercare process should take between 5-20 minutes.
6. What happens when you don't do tattoo aftercare?
When you neglect to care for your new tattoo you leave the doors open for infection, itchiness, scarring and scabbing.
7. BodyJ4You Tattoo Aftercare Vegan Balm Review