What To Know Before Getting A Nose Piercing
When did people start piercing their nose?
What is a nostril piercing?
Are nose piercings unprofessional?
What style of nose ring is best?
- Hoop style that wraps around your nostril
- Works well to start off with
- Will not affect initial healing
- A stud modeled after a traditional east Indian design that has an ornament that stays on the exterior with a straight then curving tail on the end to secure the jewelry in place without requiring a backing
- This design can be bent to fit the shape of your nose anatomy for more comfort and reduce irritations
- Should not be visible inside your nose
- Less visible than the ring style
- Works well to start off with
- Looks exactly how it sounds
- A good alternative if you find nostril screws uncomfortable
- Minimizes jewelry on the interior of the nose
- May be harder to find as it is not as common as the other options
- A modified nostril screw but does not have the curved tail at the end
- Easier to insert but more likely to fall out
- Best for use after you are healed
5. The Nose Bone Style
A straight post with an ornament on the exterior end and a small ball on the interior end
Should only be for healed piercings that are pliable as it requires stretching the piercing a bit to get nose bone in and out
What is the best side to get your nose pierced on?
In India, it is common to have the left nostril pierced as it is associated with the female reproductive organs in ancient Ayurvedic medicine. It is believed to lessen menstrual pain and make childbirth easier. However, in western culture many leave it up to the fate of a flipped coin or pick the side that best balances their face and other piercings.
What should I know before getting my nose pierced?
Before getting any piercing, take the time to consult with a piercer to go over your anatomy for piercing and choose your initial piercing jewelry. Make sure their knowledge is current and up to par by checking their portfolio for previous work that they have done. It is also important to make sure the piercing studio is clean and that the piercing needles they will use for the procedure are individually wrapped in sterile packages. You can ask for them to be opened in front of you to make sure they are sterile.
It is best to stay hydrated, maintain a healthy diet, and get your rest before and after getting a piercing to ensure a smooth healing process. Right before the procedure, it is advised to give your nose a good blowing with a tissue. If you wear glasses, make sure they will not be touching your new piercing.
How painful is a nose piercing?
How long does it take for a nose piercing to heal?
How do you take care of a nose piercing?
Your piercer should provide you with aftercare instructions, if not make sure to ask before leaving the studio.
Here are some nose piercing aftercare guidelines:
- WASH your hands before handling or touching your piercing!
- Be very careful when you blow your nose and handle your new piercing gently.
- SALINE rinse twice a day or as needed.
- RINSE as needed to remove the cleaning residue. Moving or rotating your jewelry to clean is not recommend. If you have crusties, they can be cleaned off gently around the piercing with a q-tip dipped in the saline solution. If they are too hard, soak in the saline solution again to soften.
- DRY by gently patting with clean disposable paper products.
- To help with the healing process you can moisturize your nostril piercing with a combination of unrefined coconut oil (or organic jojoba oil) and tea tree oil.
Is my nose piercing infected?
Mild infections can happen if you are allergic to the jewelry material, using a bad aftercare cleaning solution, using the wrong piercing instruments, or if you accidentally bump it. Blisters or a pimple like bump can be handled if you keep up your saline routine. However if it does not go away or there are any other symptoms you are unsure of do not hesitate to reach out to your piercing professional.
Nose Piercing Arrangement Inspiration
Nostril piercings can be combined with septum piercings for an edgier look, and double nostril piercings will surely make you stand out!
That concludes our article. If you have any anecdotes to share, please leave us a comment! We will add it to this post.